Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ladder Makeover


Last week was bulky pick-up day in Kaimuki and I just happened to have a spare hour to do a little sidewalk scavenging. I will confess, I'm not always a confident scavenger. It can be a little embarrassing to dig through someone else's trash, but somehow when you throw in the words "re-purposing" and "art" it sounds a little more civilized, right? 

I actually drove past this pile of stuff with an old wooden ladder in it about 5 times before I finally stopped. I had to eventually stop because I have had a long time fantasy about having a wooden ladder to paint blue, I mean who doesn't??

It didn't help that there was no real place to pullover and I had to stop down the street a bit and drag the ladder back to my car. And then, as Im stuffing the ladder in I realize it has provided quite a few meals for termites. I thought about dragging it back to the pile... but I just couldn't

When my boyfriend got in the car later his comment went something like, "Really? A termite eaten ladder"?
And to that I replied, "Shush".

Yesterday when I lugged it down to my studio, I definitely had second thoughts. But then I realized, I live in Hawaii and every bit of wood eventually becomes termite food. So I decided it would live outside anyway. I've got to say, once it got it's little makeover I couldn't be happier that I rescued it from the side of the road and that it now lives in my garden. 

All of this to say, when you see that rotting little gem on the side of the road, shrug off the shame and remember how happy you'll be once you've given it some love and "repurposed" it into something "artful"!!

Ladder before

Ladder after
  

No comments:

Post a Comment